For small businesses search engine optimised blogging is a cost-effective and relatively simple way to drive traffic to your website and help build your audience. Ensuring your blog content is interesting and relevant will help connect and engage your customers with your brand and generate more leads. So what do you blog about? How do you find new ideas, and how do you keep your content interesting?
Sometimes we all get stuck on exactly what to blog about, so we’ve put together 5 quick tips to generate more blog topics:
- Use you’re own wealth of knowledge – Everyone is an expert in his or her own way. Choose something you’re passionate about and think about how you can share this knowledge with your audience. If you’re a health/wellness company share a favourite recipe. If you’re in the sport industry show your audience your favourite stretches. Just make sure that the content is relevant to your specific audience.
- See what’s trending – Turn on the news, have a look at the ‘what’s trending’ account on twitter, and see what everyone is talking about. If it’s trending you know people are interested in the topic. The key is to make sure that you choose a trend that you can still link back to your business and what you offer.
- See what’s worked in the past – After you’ve been blogging for a little while you’ll be able to go back and see which blog posts worked and which ones didn’t through review your analytics. From the ones that had the largest audience or the most interaction, find ways to build on these ideas. You might do a ‘Part 2”, or a more in-depth look at the content. There’s nothing wrong with extending and adding to your content, as long as you add something new.
- Keep an ideas folder – You never know when you might come across a great blog topic, so it’s a great idea to keep an ideas folder. Save links, images, or documents, which you think you could use in the future. That way when you’re really stuck for content ideas you’ll have an entire folder to get the ball rolling.
- Borrow someone else’s brain – A guest post is a great way of keeping your blog interesting. Is there someone in the industry you look up to? Someone in your own company that is an expert at what they do? Ask them to put together a blog post showcasing what they know best.
You could also interview them – but remember ask them interesting, open ended and engaging questions.
The key to writing any good blog post is to imagine yourself as the audience. Would you find this topic interesting? Is this relevant to my customers? Once you’ve ticked those two boxes, then you’re ready to start! Do you have any other great way of generating blog topics?
Author: Lou Browne
Lou Browne has a long career history in multi-platform marketing B2C and B2B product and brand development having worked in industries as varied as wine and spirits, beauty and scuba diving. As well as a passion for social media, website design, events, marketing planning and strategy, she prides herself on her skills in relationship building.