MEC Mining is a global mining consultancy firm specialising in mine planning, onsite management and technical services solutions for the international mining industry within both the open cut and underground mining for the coal and metals sectors. MEC Mining contracted Outsource to Us to undertake a market research project to ascertain the following research objectives.
MEC Mining wanted clarity in understanding what and how value is created for clients by MEC Mining.
- Why long term clients demonstrated loyalty to MEC Mining across organisations?
- Why short term clients engaged with MEC Mining for one service only?
- Ascertain the level of knowledge current and potential clients have of MEC Mining’s full suite of offerings.
- What services and in what sectors, clients and potential clients would like to see MEC Mining offer in the future.
- In order to engage with the MEC Mining’s current client and potential clients’ decision makers and key influencers it was agreed that Outsource to Us conduct phone or Skype interviews with respondents.
- Data was collected from all respondents from each sector and then compared for themes and relevant outcomes.
- The research was further broken down into current clients and potential clients.
- Hundreds of respondents were contacted across the two client sectors through phone interviews. Each phone interview took an average of 30 – 45 minutes in length to ensure all information was completely captured and new themes/feedback was explored fully.
Conclusions were drawn that MEC Mining should take a leadership position as a leading boutique organization with a clear value proposition of providing clients with highly effective resources focused on cost maximisation strategies. This positioning should be supported by strong key messages through an effective marketing communications strategy.
- Review whether MEC really wants to be known as a labour hire organisation and if so, embrace it or clearly define the mining consultancy work as the signature service of MEC Mining and cease the labour hire arm.
- Given MEC Mining’s strong leadership team and high regard in the industry coupled with recent industry accolades from a number of awards now is the time to focus on evolving the brand to the next level.
- MEC Mining’s organisational maturity is at the point where it needs to consolidate, refine its offering to clearly articulate MEC’s points of difference addressing the current landscape. MEC Mining need to build its brand and profile through an external PR and media campaign and increase the number of customer touch points to increase MEC Mining’s organizational growth during a shrinking marketplace.