We asked our website guru, Matt Cooper, what the five must have features of a great online store should be to help shoppers find what they want this Christmas. Does your online store tick all the boxes?
What Matt said:
- Don’t call the cart your bag, or a purse, call it a cart, people are used to it and they look for it, not the name you think is fashionable or trendy or cute.
- Don’t hide your products, keep them methodical and if you have a search facility, make sure it works.
- Don’t hide the Checkout Button, keep it on every page in the same spot and INVEST SOME ATTENTION TO IT, so they know they can buy online and they can actually find the CHECKOUT.
- Keep checkout simple, don’t make them jump through hoops. They have their credit card in their hand. Don’t make them leave the site to their email to register and confirm their email. Get their details and their card, that’s the websites job.
- Any additions to your member base, mailing list etc can be done AFTER they have purchased, get their cash first, get them out of the market and then start a relationship with them.
This time last year consumers bought approximately $1.27 million worth of products from online retailers, up from $1.198 in December 2012. Mark suggests that between 60 to 80% of online Christmas shoppers are going to be new clients. It’s the time of year for new things to be bought, whether they be earrings, magazine subscriptions, novelties, bikes, or even a new BBQ, so keep it simple, make it BIG and clear. Give them the Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho, not the Heave Ho.
The Outsource To Us team have selected some of their favourite Christmas online shops – check them out below.
If your online store needs some tweaking, contact us. We’d love to help you increase your sales.
Author: Natasha Zoller
Natasha is our Digital Marketing Manager. She specialises in social media planning and implementation, digital marketing, content marketing, and newsletter writing, event management, WordPress website and app content management.