Major changes regarding tracking for email marketing are coming, and sooner than you may think. Later this month Apple will be rolling out the iOS 15 updates to all users and this update’s main objective is to safeguard user information.
What does this mean for your Business?
While there are several changes in this update that will impact email marketing, the most significant will be the inability for businesses to track the open rate of emails from Apple Mail users.
Whilst this does not impact the end-users who receive your business’s eDMs, it does impact the most universally used metric to measure the success of your email marketing campaigns – open rate.
In addition to the iOS 15 update affecting the ability to track email open rates, it will also impact how businesses provide and measure content, because;
- A user’s IP address will be hidden when browsing the web due to ‘private relay’.
- Users will have the ability to mask their real email address and substitute it with a fake one, through ‘hide my email’.
- For the time being, this change only impacts Apple Mail user’s open rates. Meaning, all other email platforms like Gmail and Outlook, will not be affected and their open rates will be tracked as usual.
This Calls for a New Way of Measuring Success:
While open rates are significant, they do not stop businesses from measuring success. Instead, we see other metrics becoming more of a focus for email marketers and businesses.
- Clicks and Click-Through Rates: If an eDM contains a link to another page, for example, a blog, this can still be tracked by all users, no matter what email platform they use.
- Traffic to your Site: Incorporating direct links back to your website will also allow you to track where your website traffic comes from. As part of our monthly reporting, Outsource2Us complete detailed reports for clients and can determine exactly where your website traffic comes from.
- Clickmaps: This metric is given by most email providers and essentially tells you what content in your email users clicked most or least on.
Change Means New Opportunities
Apple’s announcement is not the first and certainly won’t be the last in terms of privacy changes that impact digital marketing. With change, comes adaption and new opportunities, it is about evolving with these changes, something Outsource2Us strives to do, ensuring we offer the best service to our clients.